North Devon twister captured on camera
Tornado seen on Sunday to cap a weekend of weird weather across the region.
A ‘TORNADO’ has been spotted above North Devon as the weird summer weather continues to produce surprises.
Fred Barrow was driving on the B3232 between Torrington and Barnstaple on Sunday afternoon with a friend when they spotted the ‘twister’ whirling away beneath the clouds.
“I believe it was about half a mile long – it was trying to hit the ground but it didn’t quite get there,” he told the Gazette.
The startled pair pulled over near Newton Tracey to watch the phenomenon. In fact it was a ‘funnel cloud’, which would only have become a real tornado if it had made contact with the ground.
You may also want to watch:
“We stopped and watched it for about 10 minutes and it is the first time I have ever seen one. From where I was standing it had come from the Westward Ho! direction and gone across towards Chivenor, probably more or less above Braunton.”
It seems to have been a weekend for some strange weather – torrential thundery showers led to flash flooding in several places across the region.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
Heavy slow moving rain soon overwhelmed drains and caused localised flooding on roads, including at South Street in Braunton on Sunday lunchtime, leaving it under two to three feet of water.
Local flooding was also caused at Watermouth between Ilfracombe and Combe Martin after drains there could not cope with the deluge.
The Fire Service responded to a number of flooding incidents in the Bideford and Holsworthy areas on Saturday evening.
Crews prioritised reports of flooding inside properties and worked to pump out water and help residents salvage their belongings.