North Devon Theatres consider where the financial axe will fall
NORTH Devon Theatres Trust has been considering how to scale down its operations - including North Devon Festival - in the light of the �78,000 grant cut by North Devon Council for the next financial year starting in April. Alan Giddings, chief executi
NORTH Devon Theatres Trust has been considering how to scale down its operations - including North Devon Festival - in the light of the �78,000 grant cut by North Devon Council for the next financial year starting in April.
Alan Giddings, chief executive of the Trust said: "Unfortunately, many of the most popular elements of the artistic programme are also the most costly, and although they have helped to put North Devon on the map, they may be unaffordable in the future."
Possible cuts under consideration include the classical music season, the theatre's education programme, community engagement projects and the programme of professional dramas and musicals.
In an attempt to avoid drastic cuts to the organisation that would seriously impair its ability to provide key services for North Devon, the Trust has adopted two approaches to the current predicament.
You may also want to watch:
In the first instance, the Trust will look to reduce some of its core costs by internal re-structuring, while also putting all of its efforts into supplanting the grant cuts by seeking additional support from elsewhere, including the Arts Council and the private sector.
Mr Giddings said: 'It will take some time before we know the outcome for sure, but I'm hopeful that negotiations with our other funding partners will produce some positive results so that we can continue to provide the range of quality arts, education and community projects that North Devon has come to expect from us.
- 1 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 2 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 7 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
"We do not wish to cut any of our key artistic areas if possible and consequently reduce the economic benefits for an already badly-hit North Devon.