North Devon’s nurse Lesley is on TV
- Credit: Archant
Catch Nursing the Nation on ITV1 this Thursday as Torrington district nurse Lesley Yeo takes to the North Devon countryside.
A TORRINGTON based nurse is taking to the nation’s television screens on Thursday in Nursing the Nation on ITV1.
The sixth episode is at 8.30pm and follows district nurses on their rounds visiting different homes across the country.
It opens with the cameras following Lesley Yeo, a senior healthcare assistant in the Torrington district nursing team, as she visits patients across rural North Devon.
Lesley is one of nine nurses who cover over 500 square miles of remote valleys and rustic farmland, driving hundreds of miles a week.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t think people realise what district nursing is really,” said Lesley, who lives near Holsworthy.
“They have perceived us as those women on push bikes that ride around everywhere but we’ve gone up a bit now, we’ve got cars! “The countryside couldn’t manage without nurses. People wouldn’t be able to stay at home. They would lose their independence; they would probably have to move from the places that they’ve lived in all of their life, so it would be quite a dramatic effect on them.”
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
This week, we follow her as she sees three of her 150 patients, including cancer patient Avril and diabetic Jacqui.
Having left hospital eight months ago, Lesley visits Avril every fortnight to take her blood before she can undergo her regular chemotherapy treatment.
She also takes a trip to see Doris and Dudley, childhood sweethearts who’ve been married more than 50 years, but now spend most of their time in bed and prefer not to go downstairs.
“I love my job. Making a difference to patients’ lives, giving them the chance to be at home and to stay at home if they want, is an achievement,” added Lesley.
“I hope the public will think we offer a good service and that we deal with a wide variety of conditions. Some people don’t even know we exist or what work we do and the skills we have.
“Every person is different and their situations vary, and that’s what makes the job interesting.”
Three members of the Ilfracombe district nursing team – Ellie Maloney, Louise Mulholland and Tina Edwards – also appeared on episode three of the show.
* SEE Nursing the Nation on ITV1 this Thursday (February 7) at 8.30pm.