North Devon prepares for snow tonight
- Credit: Archant
Parts of the region, especially towards Exmoor, can expect up to 5-10cm of snowfall from the early hours tomorrow (Fri).
A BAND of snow could be hitting North Devon tonight with parts of the region covered by an amber weather warning.
The Met Office has issued the amber and yellow warnings from 1am tomorrow (Fri) until 11.55pm.
A spokesman for the forecasters said: “A band of heavy sleet and snow will spread north-eastwards across Wales and the south-western half of England, with rain turning increasingly to snow across Northern Ireland through Friday initially over high ground, but later to low levels.
“Winds will strengthen, leading to drifting of lying snow, whilst blizzards are likely over high ground.
You may also want to watch:
“The snow will turn to rain and sleet across south west England through the day.”
Up to 5-10cm of snowfall have been predicted in areas covered by the amber weather warning, including Exmoor.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Devon and Cornwall Police issued a statement earlier today saying the force was working with Devon County Council and the Highways Agency.
It said: “A bout of severe weather, with the potential for snow, is due to hit Devon and Cornwall around midnight with particular disruption possible in Devon.”
For the latest weather updates keep checking the North Devon Gazette website, follow us on Twitter @northdevon24 or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NorthDevonGazette.
If you see snow in your area, send your photos to email@example.com or tweet us @northdevon24 and we’ll upload them to our website.