North Devon player's Premiership debut against Man Utd
STAFF at West Buckland School have been among the first to congratulate former pupil George Friend after his Premiership debut for Wolves at Old Trafford s Theatre of Dreams. The young player from Barnstaple was among a number to take their first team
STAFF at West Buckland School have been among the first to congratulate former pupil George Friend after his Premiership debut for Wolves at Old Trafford's "Theatre of Dreams."
The young player from Barnstaple was among a number to take their first team chance when Wolves manager Mick McCarthy controversially rested established outfield players against Manchester United last week in the middle of a three games in eight days run.
Despite a 3-0 defeat at Old Trafford, the manager was vindicated when Wolves came through with two wins from the three, beating Tottenham 1-0 and Burnley 2-0.
George, 22, was a pupil at West Buckland School until 2006 and staff expressed their delight at his speedy rise through the ranks of football, which saw him make his Premier League debut.
You may also want to watch:
Prep School headmaster Andrew Moore said: "We have been watching George's progress closely and are thrilled to see him doing so well. George has shown that it is possible, with hard work and determination, to go far in your chosen profession. He is a tremendously talented footballer and a warm and friendly person and we wish him all the very best in his career.
"George has kept in close contact with the school and is also related through marriage to one of our staff. We were very pleased to welcome him on a visit to the school a short time ago and we know that he is planning to strengthen these links and intends to make another visit soon. The children found him inspiring and great fun and they are very much looking forward to his next visit to the school.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 3 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure