North Devon MP in cross-party plea for railway funding
- Credit: Archant
Nick Harvey and eight other South West MPs send letter to demand urgent repair money for the region
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey has called on the Government to release urgent funding to strengthen the South West’s railways against severe weather.
In a letter signed by nine cross-party South West MPs, Nick and his colleagues have asked Secretary of State for Transport Patrick McLoughlin to make £31.3million in funding available for flood resilience works - the estimated cost of works after severe weather in 2012/13 and left out of December’s Autumn statement.
With renewed flood damage and continuing severe weather in the last few weeks, MPs have called for the funding as an immediate priority.
“The recent severe weather flood damage to our railways in places like Dawlish has underlined the vulnerability of the South West’s rail network,” said Mr Harvey.
You may also want to watch:
“Rightly, people in North Devon are becoming increasingly worried about how easily the South West Peninsula can become cut off from the rest of the country during severe weather events.
“It’s time the Government grasped the urgency of the situation.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
“The South West Peninsula appears to have become southern Britain’s frontline for extreme weather and it’s vital our rail links can withstand further storms.”