North Devon MP backs coalition
THE coalition between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats is in the best interests of the country, says North Devon Lib Dem MP Nick Harvey. Writing on his Facebook page today, he said the election outcome meant that parties had to talk to each other
THE coalition between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats is in the best interests of the country, says North Devon Lib Dem MP Nick Harvey.
Writing on his Facebook page today (Wednesday), he said the election outcome meant that parties had to talk to each other and build a stable and acceptable partnership.
He went on: "To our considerable surprise, the Conservatives came to the negotiating table with constructive ideas and open minds. Labour, on the other hand, made no effort whatsoever to negotiate. Their only offer was their manifesto - a manifesto of policies clearly rejected by the British public last Thursday.
"In the end, we reached a good deal of common ground with the Conservatives and I believe this arrangement to be in the best interests of the country.
You may also want to watch:
"As part of the deal the Conservatives have agreed to many of our policy priorities: some of our tax plans for low earners, extra schools funding, setting fixed-term parliaments in law, and allowing a referendum to change our broken electoral system. This is a deal of which Liberal Democrats can be proud.
"The road ahead may be rocky and MPs from all parties will always have disagreements. But I believe this partnership to be a step towards the fairer Britain my party colleagues and I envisaged in our manifesto.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 4 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 5 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 6 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
"I have had robust messages from constituents warning of the dangers of a deal with the Tories and equally strong warnings about Labour. Undoubtedly I cannot please all of the people all of the time but ultimately the question is what is best in the national interest.
"If we can mitigate some of the excesses of the Tory right wing, then we shall serve the national interest, the good of the people and the promotion of liberal principle. This could not be achieved by standing on the sidelines and wringing our hands."
Mr Harvey thanked constituents for re-electing him, allowing him the privilege to serve "during this most interesting time for our country.