North Devon MP backs Carers' Week
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey is backing this year s Carers Week (June 8-15) to support the region s carers, who are among the six million people in the UK who provide unpaid care for a loved one who is ill, frail or disabled. New research has revealed that
NORTH Devon MP Nick Harvey is backing this year's Carers Week (June 8-15) to support the region's carers, who are among the six million people in the UK who provide unpaid care for a loved one who is ill, frail or disabled.
New research has revealed that almost three-quarters (74 per cent) of carers have reached breaking point due to the pressures of their role. The results show that the strain of caring is causing some carers such extreme levels of stress and depression that they are suffering breakdowns and, in some cases, even attempting suicide.
The Carers Week survey has also highlighted that the vast majority of carers feel their role is overlooked or ignored by professionals (87 per cent), friends (78 per cent) and family members (76 per cent).
Almost two-thirds (63 per cent) say that their lives are made 'much more difficult' as a result, with more than half saying that it has affected their health and left them worse off financially.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Harvey has joined the call for carers to receive more recognition:
He said: "There are thousands of people in North Devon who sacrifice their time - and often their health, finances, work and social lives - in order to care for a loved one. They deserve to be recognised for the priceless contribution they make, both to our local community and to society at large.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
"'I am taking part in Carers Week to express my gratitude and respect for our carers, and also to make them aware that there are services and support available to them. Caring can be demanding and difficult, so its important that carers know that they don't have to struggle on alone.'