North Devon motorists warned to beware ‘Friday freeze’
Gritters are out again tonight and into the weekend as temperatures expected to fall as low as minus two in parts of North Devon.
WIDESPREAD ice and frost is expected across most of the region tonight (Friday) and over the weekend, Devon County Council has warned.
Motorists are being advised to take extra care as roads could become icy and gritters will be out on most of the main salting network from 3pm this afternoon, ahead of a early freeze forecast for this evening.
Road surface temperatures are expected to drop below freezing in large parts of Devon after 8pm and after 6pm on high ground on Dartmoor, with lows of around -2 C in North and East Devon.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: “Road surface temperatures will drop below freezing again this evening across all areas of the county, apart from South Devon; but even where the gritters aren’t out, our teams will be monitoring conditions to see if anything changes.
You may also want to watch:
“With tonight’s early freeze lasting throughout the night, motorists should take extra when they are driving this evening or in the early hours of the morning.”
Further night-time frosts are expected over the weekend and into the early part of next week.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 8 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'