North Devon Link Road gets £1.5m Budget benefit
- Credit: Archant
Money will go towards plans for upgrading the A361 between Tiverton and Barnstaple
An extra £1.5million has been announced for the North Devon Link Road in the Budget today (Wednesday).
North Devon MP Peter Heaton-Jones said he was delighted the Chancellor had included the money in his plans.
It will go to Devon County Council to support the development of the business case for upgrading the A361 between Tiverton and Barnstaple.
The measure was announced in the so-called Red Book - the background papers that go with the Budget and is one of few specific road projects actually named in the Budget documents.
You may also want to watch:
“This is excellent news, and comes after significant lobbying of the Chancellor by myself and by the county council, including a letter I wrote to George Osborne just last month specifically asking him to consider this project,” said Mr Heaton-Jones.
“Of course this is just the start, but a business case and proper plans are the first stage of any road improvements before more money can flow for the actual work.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 4 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 5 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 6 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
“Only two months after the election, the government is making good on its promise to fund improvements to the North Devon Link Road, which is something I have campaigned on very hard indeed.”