North Devon flooding latest: Severe flood warnings issued for Barnstaple
Pilton Community College has been opened as a refuge centre.
POLICE have opened a refuge centre in Pilton Community College after fears the River Yeo will burst its banks.
The river has been worryingly high all day and tonight the Environment Agency has issued two severe flood warnings.
The warnings cover the Snapper to Barnstaple area, including the Fish Farm, Underwood Meadows and The Old Water Mill and the Raleigh and Pilton areas of Barnstaple, including Raleigh Meadow, Green Meadow Drive and Pilton Park.
A police spokesman said: “The River Yeo is bursting its bank in Pilton and may require evacuation, if any residents require accommodation Pilton Community College has been opened for accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
“All minor roads in area North of Barnstaple are also closed at this time due to rivers bursting banks, causing extensive flooding.
“Public are warned not to attempt to travel these roads and not to travel through any flooded roads.”
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 9 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
The A361 between Barnstaple and Braunton is still closed, as is the A39 from Barnstaple to Ilfracombe and the A399 from Barnstaple to Lynton.