North Devon families may get increased benefits
PEOPLE with children in North Devon may see an increase in their council tax or housing benefit from now on. From Monday, the law was changed so that child benefit will no longer be taken into account when calculating council tax or housing benefit. Cou
PEOPLE with children in North Devon may see an increase in their council tax or housing benefit from now on.
From Monday, the law was changed so that child benefit will no longer be taken into account when calculating council tax or housing benefit.
Councillor David Luggar, Lead Member for Revenues and Benefits at North Devon Council, said: "These changes may mean that you're now eligible to receive an increase in council tax or housing benefits, or that you may now qualify for those benefits when you didn't in the past. Times are hard at the moment for everyone, so I'm sure this will be welcome news for local families who may be struggling to make ends meet."
If customers already get housing and council tax benefits they do not need to do anything, as claims will be automatically recalculated and letters sent out to tell them if they are entitled to an increase.
You may also want to watch:
For other people who receive child benefit, but haven't previously been entitled to housing or council tax benefit, then the changes may mean they do now qualify. To find out if this is the case, customers in North Devon should phone the Customer Support Team on (01271) 388360.
People in Torridge can also find out if they are entitled to claim by calling Torridge District Council on (01237) 428700 and asking for benefits.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 5 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 6 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality