North Devon families may get increased benefits
PEOPLE with children in North Devon may see an increase in their council tax or housing benefit from now on. From Monday, the law was changed so that child benefit will no longer be taken into account when calculating council tax or housing benefit. Cou
PEOPLE with children in North Devon may see an increase in their council tax or housing benefit from now on.
From Monday, the law was changed so that child benefit will no longer be taken into account when calculating council tax or housing benefit.
Councillor David Luggar, Lead Member for Revenues and Benefits at North Devon Council, said: "These changes may mean that you're now eligible to receive an increase in council tax or housing benefits, or that you may now qualify for those benefits when you didn't in the past. Times are hard at the moment for everyone, so I'm sure this will be welcome news for local families who may be struggling to make ends meet."
If customers already get housing and council tax benefits they do not need to do anything, as claims will be automatically recalculated and letters sent out to tell them if they are entitled to an increase.
You may also want to watch:
For other people who receive child benefit, but haven't previously been entitled to housing or council tax benefit, then the changes may mean they do now qualify. To find out if this is the case, customers in North Devon should phone the Customer Support Team on (01271) 388360.
People in Torridge can also find out if they are entitled to claim by calling Torridge District Council on (01237) 428700 and asking for benefits.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes