Plans to extend mental health ward at North Devon District Hospital
- Credit: Archant
Plans have been lodged to expand the capacity of North Devon District Hospital’s mental health unit.
Devon Partnership NHS Trust is hoping to expand Meadow View at the hospital in Barnstaple.
The ward provides assessment and treatment for older people with mental health needs, such as depression, anxiety and psychosis and can currently admit up to 14 inpatients in 13 bedrooms, one of which is shared by 2 patients.
The proposals aim to bring the ward in line with current healthcare and privacy standards and provide a total of 16 individual bedrooms with ensuite facilities.
Documents with the application say there will be an extension to the existing unit which will allow the ward to accommodate the proposed increase in patient numbers, and would see the number of accommodated male inpatients increased from six to eight.
You may also want to watch:
A design and access statement for the application said: “This project forms part of a wider drive to address the shortfall in local mental health accommodation.”
- 1 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 2 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 3 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 4 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 5 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 6 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 7 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 8 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 9 A39 Atlantic Highway near new school 'safe' after no collisions in two years
- 10 Covid case rise in Devon's young people prompts warning