North Devon Cycling Campaign celebrates first anniversary
- Credit: NDCC
The Northern Devon Cycling Campaign (NDCC) celebrated the first anniversary of its foundation on Sunday, August 29, with a get together and picnic at Fremington Quay.
During the year, the group has worked alongside district and town councils to gain support for a Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) which has been commissioned by Devon County Council.
The LCWIP will produce a strategy for walking and cycling improvements in the area and make recommendations as to which should be given priority.
Tom Wiersma, chair of the group, said: “As a community, we all need to get fitter and greener and encourage more people into using active travel methods. Unfortunately, despite the fantastic resource we have in the Tarka Trail, our cycle network is poor compared to other areas, and fast traffic and busy roads put people off using their bikes.
“It has been a great pleasure to see how local government is now taking this seriously and to work alongside North Devon and Torridge District Councils, and Barnstaple, Bideford, and Northam Town Councils to get this research off the ground. The LCWIP will be the first step in creating safer, better cycling and walking routes across our area.”
You may also want to watch:
The NDCC has sub-groups in Barnstaple, Bideford/Northam, Ilfracombe, and Torrington and welcomes new members and expressions of interest via its Facebook page (search Northern Devon Cycling Campaign discussion group) or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 8 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 9 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 10 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's