North Devon crime figures fall
- Credit: Archant
Police say the number of recorded crimes in the region is ‘encouraging’ when compared with last year.
THERE has been an encouraging drop in crime figures during the past year, police have reported.
Across North and West Devon, the number of recorded crimes was down by 6.5 per cent to 8,576 when compared to last year, while the North Devon sector alone saw a 10.5 per cent reduction to 1,734.
Barnstaple is down by 11.4 per cent to 2,646 crimes and Ilfracombe by 11.7 to 949. Bideford was down 1.6 per cent to 1,562, but Torrington has seen an increase of 5.6 to 433.
Across the whole sector, which includes Okehampton and Tavistock, violence with injury was down by 2.9 per cent to 1,119, but South Molton had seen a 19.5 per cent increase to 49 crimes and Torrington a 7.1 per cent rise to 60.
You may also want to watch:
Domestic burglaries had fallen dramatically in most areas, however, with Ilfracombe seeing a reduction of almost 33 per cent to 33 incidents and Torrington falling by more than 40 per cent to 13.
“Bearing in mind these are recorded crimes and we recognise that not everyone reports incidents, the underlying trend even though we are in a time of recession, is very encouraging,” said North Devon Sector Inspector Roger Bartlett.
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
- 10 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned