North Devon councillors vote to 'freeze' allowances
NORTH Devon Councillors have voted not to increase member allowances for the forthcoming financial year. At Wednesday s meeting of full council, councillors agreed to freeze the �4,570 Basic Members Allowance rather than accept an inflation-linked 4.6
NORTH Devon Councillors have voted not to increase member allowances for the forthcoming financial year.
At Wednesday's meeting of full council, councillors agreed to "freeze" the �4,570 Basic Members' Allowance rather than accept an inflation-linked 4.6 per cent rise, an increase of around �210.
Council leader Cllr Des Brailey said: "With all the current financial toil and economic downturn it would be unfair and unjustified for councillors to take an additional allowance claim when people are struggling."
Between April 2008 and March this year, councillors claimed �282,222 in allowances.
You may also want to watch:
Of that amount, a total of �196,510 was claimed in Basic Member Allowances, money available to all 43 elected members of the council.
A further �85,712 was picked up in Special Responsibility Allowance claims, money available to councillors with extra responsibilities, including portfolio holders and committee chairmen.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
All 43 councillors requested the �4,570 Basic Allowance they are entitled to as elected members. A further �4,230 was claimed by non elected committee members.