North Devon Council takes part in tree planting record attempt
HOW many trees can you plant in an hour? Now s your chance to find out and help break a world record at the same time. As part of National Tree week, the BBC s Breathing Places campaign is organising Tree o clock - a Guinness World Record attempt for t
HOW many trees can you plant in an hour? Now's your chance to find out and help break a world record at the same time.
As part of National Tree week, the BBC's Breathing Places campaign is organising 'Tree'o'clock' - a Guinness World Record attempt for the most trees planted in one hour.
North Devon Council's parks team is mucking in and wants local people to join them as they plant as many trees as possible at a local community woodland.
The tree planting takes place at Yeo Valley Community Woodland, Silverwood Heights, Barnstaple on Saturday, December 5 between 11am and 12pm. However, volunteers are asked to arrive at 10am for a planting demonstration from the team before the action begins.
Lead Member for Parks, Councillor Eric Ley said:: "This will be a really fun event for all the family and a chance to be part of a Guinness World Record attempt, which doesn't come along every day! As well as being fun, you will get a chance to learn something new about the benefits of trees and help develop this growing woodland."
Participants need to wear wellies, warm or waterproof clothing and bring at least one spade per family or group. There will also be a chance to rest and recover with a mince pie when the hour's planting is up.
- 1 OPINION: A new plan for Barnstaple's Oliver Buildings - Tim Jones
- 2 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 3 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 4 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 5 Kenwith Castle care home welcomes new manager
- 6 OPINION: How much do you know about the ground beneath your feet?
- 7 Downing Street party video: Boris Johnson apologises but denies allegations
- 8 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 9 OPINION: Give back this festive season at the Wave Project Christmas markets
- 10 Christmas lights, free parking and late night shopping in Barnstaple
Booking is essential so that the council knows how many trees and extra tools to bring along on the day. Contact the parks team on (01271) 388323 or email email@example.com by Friday 27 November.
If you can't get to this event you can take part in the World Record attempt at home by planting a tree in your own garden, or joining up with friends and family to host your own 'Tree'o'Clock' event. Visit www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/treeoclock for more information.