North Devon Council leader demands answers from planning minister
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Brian Greenslade writes back to Nick Boles following planning concerns response
NORTH Devon Council leader Brian Greenslade has asked planning minister Nick Boles for more clarity over a ‘disgraceful’ response to planning concerns.
Cllr Greenslade claimed Mr Boles had avoided the main points put forward in a face-to face meeting and a letter from the district council in February.
Last month, a group of North Devon councillors and local MP Nick Harvey met with Mr Boles to raise concerns about planning restrictions being imposed on the local authority by central government.
On the same day, the councillors also handed a letter to Number 10 Downing Street.
You may also want to watch:
The council was then forwarded a brief response from Mr Boles, which was labelled ‘disgraceful’ by Cllr Greenslade at last month’s full council meeting.
“We were all bitterly disappointed with the short response from the Planning Minister, who avoided all of our main points, despite making positive comments to our councillors at the time of the meeting,” said Cllr Greenslade.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 7 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
“The truth of the matter is that government policy is restricting councillors from exercising local democracy in determining development proposals. So we want a straight answer as to how the Minister intends to address this.”
The council leader’s letter asks the Minister to respond to a number of questions, which cover topics such as the five year land supply and the possible blocking of New Homes Bonus grants for smaller rural developments.