North Devon Council launches companion bus pass scheme
A new scheme is being introduced to help disabled bus travellers get about more easily. North Devon Council is launching its new Companion Bus Pass next Tuesday, September 1. This will allow disabled concessionary bus pass holders who are unable to trav
A new scheme is being introduced to help disabled bus travellers get about more easily.
North Devon Council is launching its new Companion Bus Pass next Tuesday, September 1. This will allow disabled concessionary bus pass holders who are unable to travel by bus without assistance to take someone to help them on their journey for free.
The scheme is in addition to the English National concessionary travel scheme which already provides free travel for the over 60s and disabled people but does not include free travel for a disabled persons' companion.
Councillor Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, said: "The Council is extremely pleased to be able to provide help for disabled people in North Devon and make their life easier when getting about and enjoying our lovely area. Having met some local residents who will be able to use the scheme you can really see the difference it will make to their lives, independence and dignity."
You may also want to watch:
Wendy Hilling, from Yelland will be one of the first to benefit from the scheme. She said: " I am so excited, it has happened really quickly. The scheme makes such a difference to mine and my husband Peter's lives, for my independence and financially. I am no longer a prisoner in my own home, I can get out and about again to pursue my own hobbies."
If you have a concessionary bus pass and need assistance from a companion to use it please contact the Customer Service Centre at North Devon Council, Civic Centre, Barnstaple, EX31 1EA, by telephone 01271 327711 or by email email@example.com for further information.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington