North Devon comes top in South West Tourism Awards
- Credit: Archant
Region bags several golds and silvers in the ‘Tourism Oscars’ with the Calvert Trust picking up ‘winner of winners’.
TOURISM businesses across North Devon and Torridge celebrated last week after going for gold in the South West Tourism Awards.
The Calvert Trust picked up the most awards, winning gold in the tourism activity, sport and experience of the year category and in the access for all award.
The trust, based in Kentisbury, also won the coveted overall winner of winners award.
Torridge also put itself firmly on the map, with Westward Living’s Seahorse Apartments picking up silver in self catering establishment of the year.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Druce from Westward Living also won joint gold for tourism superstar award for customer service.
Owner Kathy Murdoch said: “We are thrilled to have been recognized as a Silver winner for the second year running. We were so proud when Sally Shalom of the Guardian recognized our achievements for putting the Ho! Back in Westward Ho! for our iconic tourism development.”
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
The BIG Sheep also won silver for large visitor attraction of the year, in which RHS Garden Rosemoor was also highly commended.
Rick Turner, director of the flock at the BIG Sheep, said: “We were only just getting used to winning the top attraction in Devon earlier this year and are delighted we are once again winners.
“This prestigious award is testament to the enthusiasm and hard work of all our staff who are committed to giving every one of our visitors a top day out.”
The Old Rectory Hotel in Martinhoe, Exmoor, won small hotel of the year, and Northcote Manor Country House Hotel in Umberleigh was highly commended in the taste of the south west award.
Ilfracombe Tourist Information Centre was highly commended for tourist information service of the year.
The winners will now go on the represent the region at the national Visit England Awards in Cheltenham in May.