North Devon clinics to protect against cervical cancer
GIRLS in North Devon are being urged to take advantage of a series of clinics in the area to protect them against cervical cancer. They should get armed against cervical cancer by having a human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine said NHS Devon s director of p
GIRLS in North Devon are being urged to take advantage of a series of clinics in the area to protect them against cervical cancer.
They should get armed against cervical cancer by having a human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine said NHS Devon's director of public health Dr Virginia Pearson.
Clinics are being run in South Molton, Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Bideford and Holsworthy and are open to all girls between the ages of 12 and 18 who have yet to begin or complete their HPV vaccination course.
The HPV vaccination is generally given in schools and consists of three injections that are given over a six-month period. However, NHS Devon is running clinics for girls who, for whatever reason, failed to get a vaccination in school.
You may also want to watch:
Girls need to have all three doses of the vaccine to be fully protected.
Dr Pearson said: "Cervical cancer is one of the biggest killers of women in their 30s, so I urge all girls to get protected at an early age. Almost one in every 100 women develops cervical cancer and more than 1,000 women die from it each year in the UK."
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
All clinics are by appointment only. To book an appointment or for further advice, contact NHS Devon's immunisation team on (01392) 208 469.
Some clinics have already passed, but if they have been missed or you are unable to make any of the remaining dates, alternative arrangements can be discussed.
South Molton hospital - February 5 (5pm - 8pm); March 6 (10am - 12pm);
May 29 (5pm - 8pm).
Ilfracombe Tyrell hospital - February 6 (2pm - 4pm); May 29 (2pm - 4pm).
Barnstaple Health Centre, Vicarage Street - February 11 (4pm - 7pm); June 10 (4pm - 7pm).
Bideford hospital - February 27 (9:30am - 11:30am); March 27 (9:30am - 11:30am); June 19 (9:30am - 11:30am).
Holsworthy hospital - February 27 (2pm - 4pm); June 19 (2pm - 4pm)