Nominate your ‘snow heroes’ who went above and beyond to help emergency services
- Credit: Archant
Devon and Cornwall Police is calling on people to nominate their snow heroes after the recent whiteout across North Devon.
Police and partner agencies worked tirelessly to safeguard lives and to minimise disruption and on many occasions, without having to be asked, local volunteers pitched in to help.
Across the region there were many tales of goodwill, from volunteer 4x4 drivers taking NHS staff members to into work, to volunteers running food and supplies into cut-off villages.
Rescuers worked to free people trapped in their communities by huge snow drifts in the road, taxi drivers offered people lifts for free, and a Michelin star chef even delivered food to people in need in Ilfracombe.
The force now wants to thank the #SnowHeroes who went above and beyond to help the emergency services during these busy days.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Superintendent Glen Mayhew, commanding the Devon and Cornwall Police and Dorset Police operations department, said: “During the first few days of March, while our counties were gripped in the teeth of the Beast from the East and Storm Emma, local volunteers went above and beyond to help the police and other agencies.
“Volunteers helped in many ways such as taking food to stranded motorists, freeing vehicles stuck in snow and visiting vulnerable people to check on their welfare.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 3 North Devon Tesco stores to hold extra summer Food Collection
- 4 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 7 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 8 Invitations to join this summer’s Devon Climate Assembly sent to households
- 9 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 10 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
“Sometimes the people they helped were friends or family or neighbours, and at other times they were complete strangers.
“The community spirit we witnessed during those days was extraordinary.
“Now we would like to recognise the contribution of these real snow heroes.”
Nominees will receive a letter of recognition from Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall Police Shaun Sawyer.
Those chosen for special commendation will be invited to a day ‘behind the blue line’ at Police Headquarters in Exeter and meet members of operational policing teams such as the dog unit and the drone team.
If you know of someone who gave their time to help, no matter how big or small their efforts, please nominate them at www.dc.police.uk/snowheroes before Sunday, March 25.