No more tweaking at 'lethal' junction
SIR - The Westleigh junction is lethal. I prefer to travel into Bideford following the river, over the old bridge, back along Bideford Quay and meet up with the link road that way. It takes extra time and petrol and also adds to the congestion in Bideford
SIR - The Westleigh junction is lethal. I prefer to travel into Bideford following the river, over the old bridge, back along Bideford Quay and meet up with the link road that way. It takes extra time and petrol and also adds to the congestion in Bideford but at least I don't have to cross the A39!
A point that does not seem to have been raised yet is the difficulty in seeing traffic approaching from the left if one is stuck in the central reservation of the A39 when Bideford bound. A driver needs to slew round to the left almost looking over their left shoulder to see if traffic is approaching. If cars are waiting to turn right into the Westleigh turn-off they effectively block the view of traffic travelling from Barnstaple. A similar difficulty arises when leaving the Westleigh turn-off. A driver needs to twist their neck round to the right as far as is humanly possible in order to see any traffic filtering down from the A39.
It is not unknown for drivers to be so busy craning their necks looking for traffic that they fail to see a car already waiting to join the A39 traffic that has just entered the slip road. I speak from experience here having received a good heafty thump which almost wrote my car off when a car ran into the back of me. The driver confessed that he had been so busy looking back up the road he was not looking where he was going!
A roundabout is the only solution. Tweaks can be made to the junction from here to eternity. None of them will address the problem. A roundabout should have been put in place when the A39 was constructed. It was needed then. It is needed even more now. The A39 is a main artery into Devon and Cornwall. The volume of traffic is increasing all the time.
You may also want to watch:
Two fatalities are two too many. Please - no more tweaking - instead listen to those who face 'Hell Corner' every day - We want our roundabout and soon!
Joan Diamond, Westleigh.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 5 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody