Nightclub assault by former marine suffering PTSD
- Credit: Archant
The Falklands veteran admitted grabbing man by the throat in Bideford nightclub.
A FORMER Royal Marine suffering from post traumatic stress disorder has pleaded guilty to an assault in a Bideford nightclub.
Falklands veteran Keith Owen, 49, of Alexandra Terrace, Bideford was on a night out with his son Ben on March 31 when the altercation happened on the dance floor of Caesars.
Owen appeared before magistrates on Friday charged with assaulting Liam Shaxton, the boyfriend of a woman Ben had previous been in a ‘brief’ relationship with.
The couple were dancing in the club when Owen, who believed they were trying to provoke his son, went over to them.
You may also want to watch:
Lyndsey Baker, prosecuting, said Owen grabbed Mr Shaxton by the throat before punching him. Owen denied throwing any punches but admitted grabbing the victim.
Rod Ball, defending, said Owen had suffered from PTSD since leaving the marines in 1991 but was taking steps to overcome it and was very remorseful.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
Magistrates fined Owen £225 and made no award for compensation due to the minor nature of the injuries.