Night porter injured by armed attackers
HOTEL ATTACK UPDATE: Police continue to investigate an early morning attack by armed men at a Northam hotel.
POLICE are continuing to investigate an attack on two staff members at the Durrant House Hotel in the early hours of last Wednesday, November 9, by two men believed to have been armed with guns.
The incident took place between 12.30am and 1am.
Detective Inspector Brett Mitchell, senior investigating officer said: “We know that two men entered the hotel with what we believe to be a shotgun and a handgun. They attacked two staff members, inflicting serious head injuries on one of them.
“The men then left the hotel, but we do not know how they left the area. I would be interested in speaking to anyone who saw any cars parked or moving in the area around the hotel at the time of the attack. I would also like to speak with anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in or around the hotel during the evening of Tuesday, November 8.
“It is very unusual for an attack of this nature to take place in Bideford and we will be working closely with the hotel and the local community to help us solve this crime.”
The night porter who was attacked was taken to North Devon District Hospital and treated for their injuries and released.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 7 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 8 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 9 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 10 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas
Police continue to investigate the motive for this attack and said they are keeping an open mind on why it happened.
They have released limited descriptions of the offenders. One is described as a white man, tall and wearing a black balaclava and black clothing. The other is described as a white man, shorter than the first and of larger build, also wearing a black balaclava and black clothing.
Witnesses are asked to call Bideford police on 101, quoting police log 28/9 November 2011, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.