Next confirmed as first big name at Anchorwood Bank
- Credit: Archant
The fashion retailer will be expanding its presence in the town with a 10,500-square-foot shop
Next has been named as the first big retail company coming to Barnstaple’s Anchorwood Bank.
The fashion and homeware retailer is to open a modern 10,500-square-foot store in late 2017, when the High Street branch will close.
Staff at the smaller store will relocate and additional jobs will be created.
Anchorwood Bank site owners North Devon Homes and Wessex Investors are today (Saturday) holding a public exhibition of plans for the second phase of development at the site.
You may also want to watch:
The exhibition at Barnstaple Guildhall from 10am to 4pm will feature information about the proposed new retail and food area which will create ‘quality new space for four high profile retail operators and two to three major family restaurant names’.
Andrew Pegg, managing director of Wessex Investors, said: “We are delighted that Next is intending to join us at Anchorwood Bank, where we are able to provide them with the type and size of modern accommodation that meets their needs both now and into the future.
- 1 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 2 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 3 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 4 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 5 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 6 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 7 New Trek Fest gives walkers a reward for their hike
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 10 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
“The new space has attracted a number of exciting well-known occupiers wanting to locate in Barnstaple. These negotiations are well advanced with announcements due shortly.
“The second phase of development is a truly exciting project that we believe will enhance the town’s reputation as a destination for visitors from across North Devon and beyond.”
A Next spokesperson said: “We are very pleased to be able to confirm our plans to open a high quality new store in Barnstaple.
“We have been successfully trading in the town for many years and now is the time for us to invest in new accommodation that will meet both our- and our customers’ needs in 2017 and beyond.
“Our current store is too small and is not set up for the requirements of a fast-moving modern fashion retailer and we look forward to opening in what will be a stunning new location and a real asset to the town.”