New Year Honours List recognises North Devon people
Two residents and a sergeant formerly of RMB Chivenor have been recognised in the 2013 honours list.
THREE North Devon people have been recognised for their achievements in the New Year Honours list.
Michael Pitt, of Woolacombe, will receive a British Empire Medal for his services to the Royal Air Force and to the community of North Devon.
Michael Gee, of Barnstaple, will also be awarded a British Empire Medal for his services to Orchard Conservation in North Devon.
Sergeant Paul ‘Baz’ Hunter, formerly of RMB Chivenor, will also receive a Personal Commendation of the Air Officer Commanding No 2 Group.
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Hunter led the team to victory as captain of the RAF’s 2012 Great Britain Combat Rifle team, when they became overall inter-service shooting champions.
In 2012 he became best shot in the UK Military, winning several awards, and received an award from Prince Andrew for 20 years of service in the RAF.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 8 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 9 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 10 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
He spent 12 years on search and rescue duties, and has been involved in 532 rescues in the UK and 89 rescues in Afghanistan where he volunteered as a medic.
His citation said: “Sergeant Hunter is a first class SAR Crewman who has already demonstrated the highest level of commitment in his primary role.
“His contribution to the service shooting arena further demonstrates his drive for excellence and commitment to the services.”