New viewing area for Verity
- Credit: Archant
Councillors unanimously approve slick new viewing plaza
Verity is set to be joined by a new and improved viewing area after councillors approved plans for a raised plaza in Ilfracombe.
North Devon Council’s planning committee heard plans on Wednesday to enhance the existing seating and viewing area beside the statue in Ilfracombe harbour, which will be raised above the car park.
No parking space on the harbour will be lost, while an interpretation panel with information on the statue and four new benches will be placed in the viewing plaza.
Additionally, the wall around the seating area will have the words ‘Truth / Justice’ etched into it to compliment the Damien Hurst statue and what it stands for.
You may also want to watch:
The work represents phase three of the ‘Verity project’ in the town and planning officer Mr Kelly said it will replace the currently ‘untidy and tired looking viewing area’, while retaining wheelchair access.
Local ward member, Councillor Paul Yabsley, said: “This work will finally allow people to make sense of Verity and what a fantastic gift we have received in Ilfracombe.
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
“The majority of people in the town are very grateful for the contribution she has made to the area. There has definitely been an increase in the number of visitors during the summer, which must be due to this.”
The plans carried unanimously.