New season begins for Appledore and Instow ferry
- Credit: Archant
The ferry service launched yesterday (Mon) with a new boat and two new tenders.
DESPITE the bitter weather, the Appledore to Instow ferry started the season with dozens of passengers yesterday (Mon).
The service carried 15,300 passengers last year and has purchased a new boat called Lizzie M, which will start carrying passengers across the estuary next week.
Two tenders, named Skyfall and Appledore Adventure by local school children, were also purchased for skippers to reach the boats from the slipways.
John Nightingale, of the ferry service, said it had been great to see so many people turn out in the cold conditions.
You may also want to watch:
“We didn’t know how many people would turn up, but we ended up carrying 110 people across,” said John.
“Primary children from Appledore and Instow also came out for the naming competition of the two tenders.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 10 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
“The ferry carried Appledore Town Band as they played across the river which was great to see.
“We were as busy yesterday as a day in the middle of the season, and most of the passengers were visitors which is even better.”
The service purchased the new boats with funding from various organisations, including a £30,000 grant from the Village SOS Big Lottery Fund.