New season begins for Appledore and Instow ferry
- Credit: Archant
The ferry service launched yesterday (Mon) with a new boat and two new tenders.
DESPITE the bitter weather, the Appledore to Instow ferry started the season with dozens of passengers yesterday (Mon).
The service carried 15,300 passengers last year and has purchased a new boat called Lizzie M, which will start carrying passengers across the estuary next week.
Two tenders, named Skyfall and Appledore Adventure by local school children, were also purchased for skippers to reach the boats from the slipways.
John Nightingale, of the ferry service, said it had been great to see so many people turn out in the cold conditions.
You may also want to watch:
“We didn’t know how many people would turn up, but we ended up carrying 110 people across,” said John.
“Primary children from Appledore and Instow also came out for the naming competition of the two tenders.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 3 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
- 9 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 10 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
“The ferry carried Appledore Town Band as they played across the river which was great to see.
“We were as busy yesterday as a day in the middle of the season, and most of the passengers were visitors which is even better.”
The service purchased the new boats with funding from various organisations, including a £30,000 grant from the Village SOS Big Lottery Fund.