New Petroc Youth Academy for teens
College is offering Year 9-11 students the chance to get a head start in construction industry skills with courses one day a week.
YOUNG people in Years 9-11 in North Devon are being given the opportunity to learn skills to give them a head start for a career in the construction industry.
Petroc is offering two new Youth Academy programmes in Architecture, Construction and the Built Environment (ACBE), to be held every Wednesday at 4pm at its Barnstaple and Tiverton campuses.
The first programme starts on Wednesday, February 22 and will cover plumbing, painting and decorating, carpentry and trowel occupations. The second, on May 2, will give learners an insight into electrical installation, built environment, plastering and maintenance operations.
The two programmes will be available at both the Barnstaple and Tiverton Campuses and will cost �50 for each eight-week programme.
You may also want to watch:
The courses have been specifically designed so learners can experience a full suite of construction trades, enabling them to make an informed decision on a future course of study at college, and will provide ideas for future careers within the industry.
Josh Ward, 16, is a student on the Extended Diploma in Architecture and the Built Environment course in Tiverton. He started his training on a similar 14-16 programme with Petroc.
- 1 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
He said: “I chose the course because I didn’t really know what I wanted to do. The course gave an insight into all aspects of construction.
“It is completely different to school; you get treated like an adult, have more responsibility and you can get on and do your work.”
For information about the ACBE Youth Academy visit www.petroc.ac.uk/what-we-do and click on “14-16 Learners”. Alternatively call Sarah Chard on 01271 852404.