New Petroc Youth Academy for teens
College is offering Year 9-11 students the chance to get a head start in construction industry skills with courses one day a week.
YOUNG people in Years 9-11 in North Devon are being given the opportunity to learn skills to give them a head start for a career in the construction industry.
Petroc is offering two new Youth Academy programmes in Architecture, Construction and the Built Environment (ACBE), to be held every Wednesday at 4pm at its Barnstaple and Tiverton campuses.
The first programme starts on Wednesday, February 22 and will cover plumbing, painting and decorating, carpentry and trowel occupations. The second, on May 2, will give learners an insight into electrical installation, built environment, plastering and maintenance operations.
The two programmes will be available at both the Barnstaple and Tiverton Campuses and will cost �50 for each eight-week programme.
You may also want to watch:
The courses have been specifically designed so learners can experience a full suite of construction trades, enabling them to make an informed decision on a future course of study at college, and will provide ideas for future careers within the industry.
Josh Ward, 16, is a student on the Extended Diploma in Architecture and the Built Environment course in Tiverton. He started his training on a similar 14-16 programme with Petroc.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
He said: “I chose the course because I didn’t really know what I wanted to do. The course gave an insight into all aspects of construction.
“It is completely different to school; you get treated like an adult, have more responsibility and you can get on and do your work.”
For information about the ACBE Youth Academy visit www.petroc.ac.uk/what-we-do and click on “14-16 Learners”. Alternatively call Sarah Chard on 01271 852404.