New outdoor gym up and running at Fremington
THE first outdoor gym for North Devon has been opened in Fremington.
The free exercise equipment at the Beechfield Park Gym includes simple rowing machines, a ski stepper and parallel bars.
Three free fitness sessions are already running at the �15,000 facility, on Mondays at 6pm and 9am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The outdoor gym at the recreation field in Beechfield Road was made possible following fund raising by Fremington and District Community Group plus a �5,000 grant from County Councillor Rodney Cann and �1,500 from a Co-Operative Community Grant.
It was officially opened on Friday by Mary Barrell, 86, a very familiar figure in Fremington whose efforts for the parish have included chairman of the parish council and In Bloom committee plus support for many good causes.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the park is wonderful,” she said, “after what it was before I think this is wonderful for all families in Fremington and I expect in Bickington too. I am proud to have met the people who have been able to get this going.”
Group chairman Frank Biederman said it was suitable for anyone aged 10, up to those in their 80s or 90s.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 8 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
“It’s free to use. The beginner sessions on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are not formal, they are fun and are about getting people used to the idea of exercising and encouraging each other,” he said.
“I would like to thank the whole community - once again this has been a typical Fremington effort, with all ages coming together.”