New nursery at Barnstaple school
A new nursery for babies and toddlers has opened at Orchard Vale Community School in Barnstaple. The school is thought to be the first in the area to do this and its new Seedlings Nursery can provide places for very young children aged from 0 to three.
A new nursery for babies and toddlers has opened at Orchard Vale Community School in Barnstaple.
The school is thought to be the first in the area to do this and its new Seedlings Nursery can provide places for very young children aged from 0 to three.
Seedlings is Oftsed-registered for full day care and can accommodate children from 8.30am-3.30pm during term time and is available for use by any children in the area, not simply those with a connection to the school.
The official launch party for the nursery is on February 25 but it has been open since January and is now taking on child registrations.
Fiona Pearce, head of foundation stage at Orchard Vale, said a number of parents at the school had asked about childcare and funding proved available via the 2gether initiative run by the Barnstaple Children's Centre.
"There was a need in the community so we went for it and I think we're probably the first school in the area to do this," she said.
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 7 Ways to work on North Devon's beaches in 2022 - Stephanie Conway
- 3 OPINION: An introduction from Torridge council leader Ken James
- 4 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 5 Devon's special educational needs funding ‘broken’
- 6 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 7 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 8 Snell returns to inspire comfortable win for Bideford
- 9 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 10 Nature conservation work in Fremington requires volunteers
"We have a dedicated room and a dedicated qualified member of staff in nursery supervisor Bev Taylor, but all the facilities in the rest of the school are also available for them to use.
"We offer a range of fun and educational child-centred activities within the early years guidelines and the children have already settled in here really well.
"It's a family environment, which is really nice because they get to see the older children, too, just as in a family and that also helps with the transition to starting school, too."
Places are still available at Seedlings Nursery, starting at a minimum three-hour session per week, with flexible childcare hours provide between 8.30am-3.30pm on school days. To find out more, arrange a visit or book a taster session, contact the school on (01271) 375074.