North Devon Lib Dems choose their next prospective parliamentary candidate
- Credit: Archant
The new hope of North Devon Liberal Democrats in the next general election was chosen at the weekend.
The new prospective parliamentary candidate will seek to emulate former North Devon MP Sir Nick Harvey, who held the seat for 27 years.
Kirsten Johnson – a Lib Dem county councillor and professional musician from Oxfordshire – was chosen at a meeting of party members in Barnstaple on Saturday.
She will be moving into North Devon shortly to enable her to devote maximum time and effort to her campaign.
Kirsten Johnson emerged from a field of 11 to become the new PPC.
Cllr Alan Rennles, chairman of North Devon Lib Dems, said: “We are pleased to welcome Kirsten as our new prospective candidate, and look forward to campaigning alongside her in the coming months as we prepare for elections next May for North Devon council – and for a general election whenever it may come.
You may also want to watch:
“She has impressed party members with her campaigning verve, and in the centenary year of some women first getting the vote we are pleased to field a female candidate for this seat for the first time.”
Kirsten said: “I am delighted to have been selected for such a winnable seat and to be coming to such a wonderful part of the country.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
- 10 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
“It is a big challenge, but the Conservative Government is failing North Devon – whose economy and public services are suffering as a result of their policies – and I am determined to win the seat back again.”
Sir Nick Harvey added: “North Devon is our party’s seventh best prospect in the country, and with no shortage of issues to get her teeth into, I look forward to Kirsten getting her campaign started.”