New name and makeover for North Devon pub
Tarka Inn being transformed into “The Braunton Inn” this week.
FAMILIAR local landmark the former Tarka Inn between Barnstaple and Braunton is undergoing a �150,000 makeover this week and will reopen its doors on Saturday with a new look and a new name.
The Braunton Inn is receiving a revamp both inside and out that will create an additional six new jobs as well as a designated dining area within the pub.
The Grade II listed building on the Taw estuary is part of the Vintage Inns group and will also see a new bar, plus an area with leather sofas and chairs, new seating, soft furnishings, colour scheme, mood lighting and signage intended to make it “cosy, inviting and upmarket.”
“We’re totally revamping the interior to introduce the Vintage Inns premium dining offering 106 internal covers in total after 5pm, hence the need for more staff,” said landlord Simon Baskcomb.
You may also want to watch:
“This means we’ll have a designated dining area within the traditional pub environment - for a more relaxed and refined eating out experience that will set us apart from the normal country pub.
“The renovations will make a very big difference to the overall mood and ambience – and guests old and new are sure to love it. “We’ll have a clean, contemporary look, but it will be a loving and tasteful restoration in keeping with the character of a magnificent old building.”
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
More renovations are planned in the spring to landscape the beer garden and add new wicker furniture.
Formerly called Heanton Court, the building is part of an ancient manor house, seta of the Basset family from around 1500 to 1802. In the 19th century it was used as a farmhouse.