New look for old library
Barnstaple library gets ‘21st century’ transformation
BARNSTAPLE library is celebrating a brand new 21st century transformation today (Tuesday).
The library has undergone a large-scale refurbishment, with a new ground floor layout among the changes.
The removal of the existing reception desk and several internal walls has created a bigger, lighter, open space for library users, that can also be used for other events as well.
The work by Devon County Council has also included a new redesigned entrance, the installation of WIi-Fi technology, improved community meeting facilities, and better lighting across the ground floor.
You may also want to watch:
New self-service machines have also been installed, enabling people to check their own books, CDs, and DVDs in and out, and make payments where necessary. The technology has already been introduced in a number of libraries across Devon.
Councillor Roger Croad said: “The library felt very dated and in need of refurbishment, having hardly changed since it first opened.
- 1 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 4 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 5 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 6 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 7 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 8 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 9 Covid-19 measures in Devon care homes to continue
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
“It has now been transformed into a space which offers something for everybody.
“The improvement makes it look and feel much brighter and welcoming which will broaden the library’s appeal, not only for existing users but also for the wider community, providing them with better facilities for a greater range of people of all ages.
“The library is now open on a Wednesday afternoon too, following changes to opening times, which is great news.”
Cllr Brian Greenslade added: “Barnstaple Library proved a big hit with the public when it first opened 25 years ago which led to a huge increase in use.
“This major improvement will, I believe, lead to another big lift in public interest and support for our library.
“In these tight times such an investment in this facility is to be appreciated and welcomed.”