New landlords for Barnstaple pub
- Credit: Archant
John Cusack and wife Julie have taken over the Royal Exchange pub in Joy Street.
THE Royal Exchange pub in Barnstaple has reopened its doors under new landlords after being closed for some time.
New proprietors John and Julie Cusack moved into the Joy Street pub just before Christmas – and just in time to open on ‘factory Friday’.
The Punch Taverns pub had been closed for around two months following the departure of the previous tenant.
“We didn’t realise how busy factory Friday would be,” said John.
You may also want to watch:
“Now, we would just like local people to know we are here and that it has changed hands and is nothing to do with the previous landlord.”
The couple have a wealth of experience in the pub trade – they moved to North Devon from Burnham-on-Sea after running The Orchard, another Punch hostelry.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
“I have been running pubs for more than 20 years, in London, Oxford and all over the place,” added John.
“Now we are here we are keen to get the local trade back again, plus the pool, skittles and darts teams. Fridays and Saturdays have already proved successful with karaoke, a nice mix of people and a good friendly atmosphere. Plus there is a Sunday night quiz and we hope to start a Tuesday folk music night in February.
“When we moved in here it was more or less stripped out and it is being completely refurbished, but we won’t be changing the structure or character of it because people like that.
“We will soon be doing food again, fresh cooked to order and in the best tradition of pub grub.”
The pub closed last year following the departure of previous tenant Jason Kyte, who was convicted at Worcester Crown Court on sexual abuse charges.