New headmaster at Shebbear College
- Credit: Archant
Simon Weale takes over from Bob Barnes, who is retiring after 10 years.
THE new headmaster of Shebbear College says he is committed to taking institution from strength-to-strength in the years ahead.
Experienced Oxford University history graduate Simon Weale has just taken on his new role, taking up the reins from outgoing headmaster Bob Barnes, who is retiring after 10 years at Shebbear.
Mr Weale joins the college after working in a number of well-known independent and maintained schools including the Judd School, Tonbridge, Latymer Upper School and Reigate Grammar School. Most recently he was deputy headmaster of Brentwood School in Essex.
He is a historian by training and in each school he has been responsible for initiatives that have helped to develop the curriculum and raise academic standards.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Weale and his wife Rebecca are moving to the area with their three children aged 16, 12 and 12 months.
“I am thrilled and honoured to begin my appointment at Shebbear,” he said.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
“The college rightly has an excellent reputation as a warm-hearted community which genuinely looks after the individual needs of each student. It was very noticeable when I first visited the college how confident and friendly the students are.
“I am delighted my own children are going to be able to come to school here.”
Mr Weale is a keen sportsman, having played cricket for Oxford and has been captain of Teddington CC, one of the strongest clubs in the South East. He also played rugby for London Cornish RFC and hockey for the London Schools Hockey Association.
He added: “I have always seen it as a key part of my work to be involved in life outside the class as well as in it and Shebbear’s extra-curricular programme will continue to be a match for anyone.”
Bob Barnes said it had ‘been a privilege to be part of this wonderful school’.
“I am reminded of what a great school this is; our pupils are ever positive, the staff enthusiastic professionals and parents fully supportive and eager to be engaged in our community life,” he added.
“I say farewell with much pride and some sadness and would like to express my sincere thanks to all for your support and loyalty through our journey together.”
* The school is holding an open day this bank holiday Monday (May 6), with visitors invited to drop in or call 01409 282001 to arrange an appointment.