New free car service for North Devon cancer patients
- Credit: Archant
Charity-funded transport will get patients to treatment in Barnstaple from across the North Devon and Torridge areas.
A new door-to-door car service to get cancer patients to their treatment has been launched for North Devon.
The trial service will be a big help to oncology or chemotherapy patients across the region who would otherwise struggle to get to North Devon District Hospital.
The free transport has been funded by North Devon Cancer Care Centre Trust and is co-ordinated by Go North Devon.
It will collect patients from the Torridge area on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from the North Devon area on Tuesday and Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
The service will run twice daily to NDDH, arriving at 9am and 1pm, departing at 1.15pm and 5pm. The VW Caravelle with its distinctive NDCCCT logo can carry five passengers on each run and booking is essential.
The two groups have worked together for the past 17 years helping North Devon cancer patients get to Exeter on a daily basis for radiotherapy.
- 1 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 2 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 3 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 4 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 5 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 6 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 7 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 8 Barnstaple flood prevention scheme at least two years away
- 9 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 10 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
Now an NHS-funded service is in place for those journeys so NDCCCT trustees felt the time was right to investigate new ways to help cancer patients in this area, paid for by NDCCCT donations and fundraising.
“Our charity began with the goals of helping cancer patients attend appointments and offering support to the chemotherapy unit at NDDH,” said NDCCCT chairman James Bonetta.
“With the new unit opening next year this new service will combine those original aims and, we hope, help many people in the future.”
For more information or to book a seat call 01271 314332 Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4pm.