New Foundation for West Down School
- Credit: Archant
Village pre-school merges with school reception to create new class for two to five-year-olds.
WEST Down’s pre-school has officially become part of the village primary school to create a new Foundation Stage Class.
The newly refurbished Reception class area of the school reopened last month to cater for youngsters aged from two to five-years-old as part of one group.
West Down, part of the West Berry Federation with Berrynarbor, is different to some Foundation units, with all the children in one ‘class’, but at the official opening of the new facility on Wednesday, staff said they were already delighted with the results.
The team from the former independent pre-school, led by a parent committee, have been working alongside existing West Down staff throughout the summer to make the merger possible.
You may also want to watch:
“Pre-school leader Carole Henderson and I feel really fortunate to have such a strong team in the pre-school, we have worked very well together,” said class teacher Faye Poynter.
“It is an environment that allows children to play and work together at their own level of development. There are already plenty of examples where the older children act as role models to the younger ones.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 7 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
“We have had positive feedback from parents and we’re trying to get the word out there that we have spaces and would like people to come along, have a look and see what they think.”
West Down School can be contacted 01271 863461.