New electoral roll for North Devon
NORTH Devon Council is working hard to make sure that all eligible residents can have their say in next year s general election. Annual canvass forms will be sent out to households across North Devon over the next couple of weeks in order to compile a n
NORTH Devon Council is working hard to make sure that all eligible residents can have their say in next year's general election.
Annual canvass forms will be sent out to households across North Devon over the next couple of weeks in order to compile a new electoral register. By completing and returning the form, residents in the district will ensure they will be able to have their say on what matters to them.
Electoral Services Officer Judith Dark said: "Some people think that if they get a council tax bill, they are automatically included on the electoral register - but this is not the case.
"Even if you filled out a form last year and nothing has changed in your household, you still need to re-register this year. All you have to do is complete the form that will be coming through your letter box over the next few weeks, and you'll be able to help choose the people that make the decisions which affect your everyday life."
You may also want to watch:
To vote, residents must live in the UK, be aged 18 or over on polling day and be a British, Irish Republic or qualifying Commonwealth citizen. British citizens living overseas are eligible to vote if they have been registered in the UK in the past 15 years. Members of the UK armed forces serving abroad can also vote.
Students studying away from home can also register for both their home and term-time address, or if residents have a second home and live here regularly, they may register this address to vote in certain elections as well.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 3 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 9 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 10 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
For further information about voting, contact the council's Electoral Registration team on (01271) 388277 or email email@example.com. You can also visit the government's website www.aboutmyvote.co.uk for more advice.