New Devon-wide service for people on homes waiting list
PEOPLE on the housing waiting list are being offered a new way to find a home, from next week. North Devon Council is joining forces with nine other local authorities in Devon to launch Devon Home Choice, a new choice-based letting scheme that means custo
PEOPLE on the housing waiting list are being offered a new way to find a home, from next week.
North Devon Council is joining forces with nine other local authorities in Devon to launch Devon Home Choice, a new choice-based letting scheme that means customers can bid for a home anywhere in the county.
The service, being launched next Wednesday, will see all council and housing association homes in the county being advertised, on the Devon Home Choice website www.devonhomechoice.com, in newsletters, posters and via digital TV.
Councillor Brian Moores, North Devon Council's Lead Member for Housing, said: "Devon Home Choice is an excellent example of authorities working together to provide a first class service for our customers. It means that if someone here in North Devon wants to move south, or vice versa, then they can now do so, with their details being put on one joint register to make the process more convenient all round."
You may also want to watch:
Anyone on the register can bid for up to three homes each week that meet their needs. They can do this either via the Devon Home Choice website, using an automated telephone service, using digital TV, or in person at council offices. The homes will then be offered to those assessed as being in the most need.
If customers are already on a housing register or waiting list in Devon, their applications will be transferred to Devon Home Choice. They will also be sent a letter confirming what band they are in and the reason for this, together with the size of homes that they are eligible to bid for.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 9 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 10 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
The council says Devon Home Choice will improve the way the council and housing association homes are let. However, they warn it will not change the fact there are far more people seeking a council or housing association home than there are homes available. In North Devon there are roughly 380 vacancies per year, providing housing for about 6 per cent of applicants on the register.