New crossing for Ilfracombe pupils
PUPILS at Ilfracombe C of E Junior School will joined a green walk to school today (Friday) to celebrate the opening of a new zebra crossing in Ilfracombe. The Devon County Council scheme on Highfield Road has been introduced after the need for a crossi
PUPILS at Ilfracombe C of E Junior School will joined a "green walk" to school today (Friday) to celebrate the opening of a new zebra crossing in Ilfracombe.
The Devon County Council scheme on Highfield Road has been introduced after the need for a crossing was identified in the School's Travel Plan.
The �16,000 crossing will provide additional safety for the School Crossing Patrol, but it will not only be used by children walking to school. It will also help local residents access other areas of the town.
Councillor Geoff Fowler, Devon County Councillor for Ilfracombe, said: "I'm really pleased to see this feature not only for schoolchildren and their parents but also the residents who live in the vicinity.
You may also want to watch:
"Highfield Road over the years has become an important inner town route with consequently more traffic using it, so anything that will improve pedestrian safety has to be a step in the right direction.
"I'm also hoping it will encourage mums to use the free car park facility in Oxford Grove when dropping off their youngsters, thereby de-cluttering the roads around the Junior School.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington