New crossing for Ilfracombe pupils
PUPILS at Ilfracombe C of E Junior School will joined a green walk to school today (Friday) to celebrate the opening of a new zebra crossing in Ilfracombe. The Devon County Council scheme on Highfield Road has been introduced after the need for a crossi
PUPILS at Ilfracombe C of E Junior School will joined a "green walk" to school today (Friday) to celebrate the opening of a new zebra crossing in Ilfracombe.
The Devon County Council scheme on Highfield Road has been introduced after the need for a crossing was identified in the School's Travel Plan.
The �16,000 crossing will provide additional safety for the School Crossing Patrol, but it will not only be used by children walking to school. It will also help local residents access other areas of the town.
Councillor Geoff Fowler, Devon County Councillor for Ilfracombe, said: "I'm really pleased to see this feature not only for schoolchildren and their parents but also the residents who live in the vicinity.
You may also want to watch:
"Highfield Road over the years has become an important inner town route with consequently more traffic using it, so anything that will improve pedestrian safety has to be a step in the right direction.
"I'm also hoping it will encourage mums to use the free car park facility in Oxford Grove when dropping off their youngsters, thereby de-cluttering the roads around the Junior School.
- 1 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Fashion store opened by North Devon Against Domestic Abuse
- 5 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 6 Coronavirus infection rate for North Devon is zero - no cases in a week
- 7 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 8 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 9 Have your say on the future of North Devon phone boxes
- 10 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton