The new crime thriller set in North Devon
- Credit: Contributed
North Devon is the setting for a new crime and mystery thriller from Hilary Bonner.
Instow, Westward Ho!, Northam and Bideford are at the heart of Dreams of Fear, the 15th novel from the prolific author who grew up in Bideford.
The novel is a twisting tale of murder, deceit and family secrets partially inspired by a real life case in Southport.
That inspiration has been transferred to the Torridge estuary where Hilary grew up. Her father Cecil Bawden was a butcher with a shop in Mill Street, and owned Cleverdon's Cafe, which features in the book.
She said she was inspired to base the book in the area she grew up after a visit to Appledore Book Festival a couple of years ago.
You may also want to watch:
"It's such a wonderful, dramatic area for the location of a book and it really encourages the imagination," said Hilary.
"The whole area remains dear to my heart. Its seascapes provide the perfect backdrop for a crime novel."
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 9 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 10 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
Dreams of Fear is available from Amazon and Book Depository.