‘New chapter’ as The Burton becomes trust
- Credit: Archant
The Burton Art Gallery and Museum in Bideford will now be run as a charitable trust.
The Burton Art Gallery and Museum has officially become a charitable trust this month.
The new charity, the Burton at Bideford, alongside their trading company Burton Enterprises Ltd will take over running the gallery.
Plans have been in process for 18 months now with Torridge District Council officers, Burton staff and external consultants working alongside a voluntary shadow board.
Councillor Richard Wiseman, lead member for culture at TDC, added: “Torridge District Council has been keen to support The Burton at Bideford in its transition to a charitable trust and it is great news that the trust can now move forward with its plans.
You may also want to watch:
“While the building and the collections held at the Burton will remain in the ownership of TDC in the care of the Trust this is an exciting new chapter in the development of the gallery which the council will continue to support.”
Judith Gentry, chairman of the trustees of the Burton, said: “I am delighted that after so much hard work by so many people that this has now come to fruition.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 4 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 5 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Financial support for survivors of domestic violence in North Devon
- 8 Torridge councillors meet at AGM and re-elect councillor Ken James as Leader
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Fresh funds to continue rough sleeper support in North Devon
“I would like to thank the army of supporters who have given their time, their knowledge and their enthusiasm to make this happen.
“The Board of Trustees and the Burton staff look forward to a new age for The Burton, and turning our attention to developing and delivering our vision of a world class gallery and museum in a unique setting”