New cancer information service for North Devon
Launch of new service for patients and their families that can be accessed at libraries across the region.
A pioneering scheme to help cancer patients and their families get the right advice has been launched.
Libraries in Barnstaple, Bideford, Holsworthy and Ilfracombe will be used as central hubs, providing access to information and specialist support.
Devon County Council, the Peninsula Cancer Network and Macmillan Cancer Support have joined forces to make it easier to find the right books, leaflets, online support and expertise as close to home as possible.
The libraries will be holding monthly Macmillan/CAB advice and guidance sessions on benefits and financial advice for people with cancer and other life-limiting illnesses. These are also available to carers and relatives.
You may also want to watch:
Library staff will provide internet support and assistance to people wishing to access the NHS Choices information prescription site, www.nhs.uk/ipg.
Macmillan-approved books about cancer are available on free loan - some written by people with cancer themselves while others offer more technical information.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 4 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
“Libraries are the ideal way patients can access information and vital support,” said Councillor Andrea Davis, County Cabinet Member for health and wellbeing.
“They are at the heart of our communities, and this scheme will increase the availability of high quality cancer information and support locally, at times which are convenient, saving people the need to travel huge distances.”
To mark the launch an open afternoon was held at Barnstaple Library to enable people to meet library staff, specialists from other organisations and service users.