New canal pathway opens in Torrington
- Credit: © Guy Newman
The 1km walkway on the Tarka Trail follows the remains of the Rolle Canal, which was superseded by the railway line.
A NEW canal path has opened along the Tarka Trail as part of the Biosphere project, Life’s Journey.
The 1km pathway at Torrington takes visitors along the remains of the Rolle Canal, where they can discover how it was built and eventually superseded by the railway.
Roger Tinson, from Clinton Devon Estates, owners of part of the land over which the path and canal runs, said: “Lord Clinton and his ancestors have been involved in the Rolle Canal for over 190 years.
“He and his family have committed to this project and many of his family members, including himself, have had hands on involvement with the work that has gone into it.
You may also want to watch:
“All of his family have been here to visit and seen the canal and the restoration work.
“As a former Royal Marine and someone who loves the outdoors, I am sure this canal path will make a great addition to the Tarka Trail for both cyclists and walkers.”
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 9 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 10 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
The project was predominantly funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Simon Timms, chairman of the Heritage Lottery Fund SW Committee, who attended the opening, said: “I was delighted to be able to attend this event; there is no substitute for being on the ground and seeing the work that the Heritage Lottery Fund enables.
“The project has shone the spotlight on this canal and on this part of North Devon.”