New campaign for horse safety on the roads
- Credit: Archant
Campaign aims to prevent a number of accidents when transporting horses.
A SOUTH West insurance company had launched a campaign to improve the safety of horses during transport.
Cornish Mutual has launched the HorseSafe campaign in partnership with the specialist animal rescue team at Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue.
Neil Gidding, animal rescue specialist at Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue, said: “Each year the UK fire and rescue services attend around 300 animal rescues and most of the large animals involved are horses.
“Accidents with horses during transport are often very distressing for horse and owner alike and can cause serious injury, even death to animals and people.
You may also want to watch:
“Many of the incidents I have attended here in the South West were preventable.
“I hope HorseSafe will help to reduce the number of incidents that occur.”
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 9 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 10 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
The campaign includes five online videos with guidance from the rescue team as well as horse expert Rachel Norris of Equusense in Dorset.
Philip Wilson, field force manager at Cornish Mutual, said: “We hope that HorseSafe will help to raise awareness of safety issues when transporting horses and help owners make the right choices for themselves and their individual horses or ponies.”
For more information and to watch the video visit the Cornish Mutual website at www.cornishmutual.co.uk/horsesafe