New building for Great Torrington School?
- Credit: Getty Images/Hemera
The school has put in a bid for a new library, resource centre and dining room.
GREAT Torrington School is hoping to build an extension with a new library, resource centre and dining room.
The school has put in a bid through the Education Funding Agency’s academies capital maintenance fund to build the facility.
Louise Leonard, of Great Torrington School (GTS), said the building would be situated within a courtyard and would provide improved facilities for the pupils.
She said: “Currently our Library is too small for the number of pupils we have and for the high levels of usage.
You may also want to watch:
“All the authors and poets who visit us recognise that GTS has a vibrant library which is central to the learning of all our pupils.
“GTS is the only school in Devon that does not have a dedicated Dining Room.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
“Whilst our pupils have, through their fabulous art work, made it a lovely environment to be in, as with the library it is too small and has to be used as a multi-purpose space.”
The new space would also incorporate The Hardy Centre, which was set up in 2011 to support young people at the school.
The centre currently resides in a mobile classroom, and maintenance is becoming expensive.
The school has put a planning application in for the two-storey building to Torridge District Council will find out if it is successful in its bid next month.