New Bideford College topped out with sedum roof
THE construction of the new multi-million pound Bideford College has reached a major landmark. Barnstaple-based construction company Morgan Ashurst has just completed fitting the roof for the new college. It has a sedum covering, which will produce oxyg
THE construction of the new multi-million pound Bideford College has reached a major landmark.
Barnstaple-based construction company Morgan Ashurst has just completed fitting the roof for the new college. It has a sedum covering, which will produce oxygen and will slow the run-off of rainwater. The completion of the roof signals the 'topping out' of the new building.
Working for Devon County Council, Morgan Ashurst is re-building the college as part of a �44 million project, which is being partly funded by the government's �55 billion Building Schools for the Future (BSF) programme.
The college is being built within the grounds of the existing college at Abbotsham Road, which will be demolished when construction is complete.
You may also want to watch:
"Since starting work on site last year we are making good progress and are excited to see the new college really taking shape now the roof is on," says Martin Kennedy, Morgan Ashurst project manager:
"The college is being built to strict sustainable guidelines and, as well as the sedum roof, a number of other 'green' features are being incorporated into the design such as rainwater harvesting and a biomass boiler to heat the buildings."
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 6 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 7 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 8 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 9 Barnstaple Waterstones to host first event since March 2020
- 10 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
Work is expected to complete in July 2010.