New Barnstaple road safety scheme completed
A �30,000 road safety scheme in Barnstaple has been completed. The toucan-controlled crossing has been installed on a popular pedestrian route at Eastern Avenue following consultation with the local community and through Park Community School s Travel Pl
A �30,000 road safety scheme in Barnstaple has been completed.
The toucan-controlled crossing has been installed on a popular pedestrian route at Eastern Avenue following consultation with the local community and through Park Community School's Travel Plan.
The new crossing, installed by Devon County Council, has detectors which can tell when people are waiting to cross and it is able to cancel the red light phase if the person moves away from the crossing, enabling traffic to flow more freely.
Councillor Chris Haywood, county councillor for Barnstaple South, added: "This is a good and welcome safety addition to Eastern Avenue, particularly for a lot of young people attending the local Park Community College, and the various schools in the Newport area, from the Forches Estate.
You may also want to watch:
"With the addition of a new supermarket and fast food outlet, it will also improve safety for everyone crossing a very busy main artery into Barnstaple."
The new crossing is part of the council's aim to reduce deaths and serious injuries on the county's roads. The local authority has met the Government's 2010 target of a 40 per cent reduction of road users being killed and seriously injured, which includes a 50 per cent reduction in collisions involving children.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 9 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody